Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Early September Birthdays

Growing up, September was always the birthday month because half of the family had September birthdays.  Here are the early cards that I made:



My brother has a birthday on September 3rd, he will celebrate 71 years! I am not so excited about this card, although I love the candle diecuts from the dotted paper. I embossed the tips with gold and covered them with crystal effects to shine. I used both dies for the words one in each color to highlight the sentiment. The inside sentiment was "more candles means more wishes..."



I almost feel like there's too much going on with the cupcake embossing on the top layer. The baker's twine is holding SU's Pretty Petites sentiment on the punched shape that matches, Happy b-day. I sent the card because it is bright and cheery, but I wasn't entirely happy with it and ran out of time! Does that ever happen to anyone else???


I kind of felt the same about this card for my sister-in-law,  Nancy. She is 68 this year and just retired to SC. I was trying a new technique spotlighted by Jennifer McGuire on YouTube  that is here Die Cut Inlays. I did make my own design with the scraps from the happy birthday DSP and used it to cut both words. I set the card on Crumb Cake and then on a white base. Adding the embossed pieces of the cupcake from SU's Create a Cupcake helped, but it isn't my favorite card for sure. 

Some things that I did learn: I will use that puzzle technique with the word dies again some time and will make my own envelopes with We R Memory Keepers envelope maker. Love it! 

No comments: