Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

August Birthday

For almost a year I have been tutoring a middle school girl in reading for close friends of the family. The work to me is my way of giving back something to a career that I loved. Kierstyn will turn twelve at the end of August, entering into those very tumultous ages that I remember so well! Here is the card that I made for her...


First I stamped the tree with SU Early Expresso; then using Distress Ink's Broken China, I sponged the front of the card making cloud shapes on the edge of a scallop diecut. Next I stamped the tree again on another piece of white cardstock, also sponging Broken China as an overlay for the zipper die. 

Marking where the zipper would go, I stamped the sentiment which says, Pretty darn amazing! and lined up the edges to blend in with the tree. Then I colored in the leaves with SU Always Artichoke, also fussy cutting some leaves to add to the tree with foam dots. I love how they add dimension!




I just love this little guy, also using dimensionals for his glasses and lifting him as though swinging from the paper!  The bananas and his shirt are in SU Summer Sun. The stamp sets that I used were Avery Elle's What's Up? and PTI's Inside and Out II and PTI's Zipper die to create the zipper layer.

The tree connected almost seamlessly to the front layer of the card. The inside sentiment says "Happy Birthday." It was so much fun making this card that I am planning to use the zipper idea for Halloween cards as soon as I get some "playtime" with my stamps!

No comments: