Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Christmas Shaker

Couldn't get by the season without a shaker card. With almost all of our Christmas cards done for this year, I decided to try one.

I have been struggling to master partial die cutting, really struggling! Today I was reading  Lynn's blog- The Mango Boys and Me- and saw a great example using PTI's Peaceful Pinecones dies. I haven't used that set yet, and wanted to give it a try.

So using her idea as inspiration this is what I came up with:


From a stitched rectangle die cut panel, I used the middle size oval die and overlapped the pine cone shape on the edge of the platform for the Sizzix- and lo and behold! It worked like a charm! Then I stamped the design over the cut space and embossed it slightly with gold embossing powder.  Love it!

The little skating penguin is just so cute from Michaels Recollections stamps, Winter Wonderland.  On the front of the card, I stamped and colored him with Copics- sponged the sky with Distress Salty Ocean. Below the stitched rectangle panel, I added a strip of white glitter paper, and another piece just below the penguin and it really does look like an ice skating spot!

Then I attached a piece of plastic behind the pine branch, and foam taped the entire panel to the card front, making it a shaker card, with mica flakes for snow and clear mini beads. The stamp says "Wishing you..." and the inside sentiment is- Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!" The hardest part of shaker cards is filling them without messing up the panel...

I am still thinking about adding a die cut snowflake on the outside in the white glitter paper... maybe...

It isn't Thanksgiving yet and I can't believe I am almost done with my Christmas cards. I also got 20 cards mailed out to the Card Drive. That Holiday class is what got me started!

Also maybe the thought that our new grand baby may arrive early and I need to be on babysitter watch for the other two girls! Can't wait!



No comments: